Whether you have full or partial dentures, they will need proper care to ensure their cleanliness and durability. If you are having any problems with your dentures, it’s best that you consult your dentist in Yorba Linda, CA, Dr. Richard Hamaty, to avoid further damage. With this in mind, follow these easy tips for proper denture care:
- Handle your dentures with care. Avoid bending or damaging the clasps and plastic when cleaning.
- Rinse your dentures after each meal. Run clean water over the dentures to get rid of food particles and other debris.
- Always clean your mouth after you remove your dentures. Brush all existing natural teeth, your tongue, palate, and inside of the cheeks using a soft-bristled toothbrush.
- Clean your dentures every single day. Brush and soak them with a nonabrasive cleanser and soft-bristled toothbrush to eliminate plaque, food debris, and other particles. Never put the denture cleanser inside the mouth.
- Soak your dentures every night, all night. Most denture types require constant moisture to keep them in perfect shape. Every night before you go to sleep, put your dentures in clean water or a solution specifically made for soaking dentures. When using a soaking solution, make sure to follow the manufacturer’s directions.
- Schedule regular checkups and cleanings at our Yorba Linda office. Your dentist will determine the frequency of your checkups and how often you should have your dentures professionally cleaned and examined. Your dentist can likewise help make sure that your dentures fit properly to prevent discomfort and slippage.
- Avoid boiling or hot water since these could deform your dentures. Don’t use harsh toothpaste, strong cleansers, and stiff-bristled toothbrushes for cleaning since these could damage your dentures as well.
- Never use products with bleach for cleaning and soaking your dentures since these could bleach and weaken them. This includes whitening toothpaste with peroxide in them. In addition, never soak your dentures in solutions with chlorine, especially if they have metal attachments since it could corrode and tarnish the metal parts.
To Learn More About Proper Denture Care, Reach Out to Us.
Call (714) 779-1313 to arrange a consultation with your dentist, Dr. Richard Hamaty, here at our office in Yorba Linda, CA.