One of the many consequences of tooth loss is the deterioration of your jawbone. To offset this destructive effect, dental experts have long used dental implants as reinforcement, and your dentist in Yorba Linda, CA, knows firsthand both how beneficial this procedure can be and how to perform it!
First, a local anesthetic is applied to the area that will undergo treatment. Next, any decayed tooth material is removed and a titanium post is inserted into the jawbone. This titanium post then acts as the new tooth root (rest assured that titanium is biocompatible, so there is no worry of tissue rejection.
The doctor will then surgically close the area and allow it to heal for a period of 3 to 6 months while osseointegration takes its full course (this is the process where titanium fuses to the jawbone to provide reinforcement).
Finally, when you return, your Yorba Linda dentist will re-open the area, insert an abutment, and place a crown on top of it.
- They anchor dentures and fill gaps in your teeth.
- You won't have to worry about being unable to bite into and chew your favorite foods.
- They don't slip out of place like dentures, making them both comfortable and practical.
- They provide your jawbone with the support it needs so that it doesn't shrink.
- They look natural and give you a beautiful smile.
- Dental implants are successful 95 percent of the time, making them more reliable as compared to other dental restorations.
Dental Implant Care
- Get professional dental cleanings and checkups every six months
- Brush teeth at least twice a day
- Floss at least once before bed
- Use fluoride-containing products like toothpaste and mouthwash to prevent gum disease and tooth decay
If you have questions or concerns, your dentists in Yorba Linda, CA, can help. Just call (714) 779-1313 to make an appoint today!